use your phone abroad
The Orange range of travel options and offers, as well as the flat-rate call and SMS pricing structure, make using your mobile phone abroad easier and more affordable than ever.
Whether you have a subscription or a PrePay offer, our single tariff pricing means you'll enjoy low rates locally and back to Switzerland and you'll always know the cost when making calls to another foreign country when you're abroad. No more nasty surprises.
Sending SMS from any country to any country worldwide couldn't be simpler either, at only CHF 0.45 per SMS and always completely free to receive them.
prepare your travel
For everything you need to know before you go. It'll give you useful advice on using your mobile phone in your destination country, as well as suggested ways to reduce your roaming charges.
subscription call rates
|Calling to||Travel zone A |
|Travel zone B |
|Travel zone C |
Rest of Europe
|Travel zone D |
|Travel zone E |
Rest of the World
|Back to CH||1.70||2.–||2.90||2.90||4.80|
|Travel zone A||1.70||2.–||2.90||2.90||4.80|
|Travel zone B||2.–||2.–||2.90||2.90||4.80|
|Travel zone C||2.90||2.90||2.90||2.90||4.80|
|Travel zone D||2.90||2.90||2.90||2.90||4.80|
|Travel zone E||4.80||4.80||4.80||4.80||4.80|
|Incoming calls||0.60||0.80 ||1.–||0.80||2.–|
1) Except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey: CHF 1.–
2) Except for Iceland: CHF 0.80
3) Except for Australia, New Zealand: CHF 0.80; except for Georgia, Israel, Japan: CHF 1.–; except for Antigua & Barbuda, Bermuda, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Figi, French Polynesia, Macao (China), Madagascar, Maldives, La Réunion, Seychelles: CHF 4.–
Prices in CHF. All international roaming tariffs can be subject to modification.
|Standard subscriptions prices|
|Travel zone||zones A & B||zones C, D & E|
|Data transfer||4.–/2 MB then 2.–/MB||15.–/MB|
Prices in CHF incl. VAT. Prices subject to change.
1) HSDPA, UMTS, GPRS, EDGE where available.
2) Billing unit 30 KB.
If you'd like to benefit from cheaper rates when making calls abroad, you should consider one of our options:
- Travel Option is ideal for frequent travellers, giving heavily discounted tariffs, for only CHF 3.– per month, to make and receive calls and send SMS from all over the world. You can save up to 78% in Europe and 58% outside Europe.
- Travel Packs include minutes, SMS and data at a very attractive price to be used when travelling in Europe (Travel zones A & B), from CHF 10.–/month. Minutes can be used for incoming calls or calls back to Switzerland, local calls or calls to voice mail.
where you can use your phone abroad
You can make and receive calls in most European countries, Asia, Africa and major locations in North and South America. Just ensure your international roaming is activated before you go (by calling Customer Care on 0800 700 700, for free).
We've grouped countries into five zones so it's easy to know the rate you'll be charged for making calls when abroad, no matter when you call or which operator you select.
Here is a list of all the countries per zone where Orange subscribers can use their phone. Select the destination to get detailed information on network coverage and available services.
PrePay call rates
|Orange PrePay & Orange World PrePay||Local calls||Calls to CH||Incoming calls|
|Travel zone A||1.40||2.20||0.80|
|Travel zone B||1.50||2.60||1.00|
|Travel zone C||1.70||3.70||1.30|
|Travel zone D||2.60||3.70||1.00|
|Travel zone E||2.90||6.20||2.60|
1) Except Maldives, La Réunion: CHF 5.– /minute
All prices in CHF, VAT included, charged per minute. Charges are in CHF/minute and are directly withdrawn from your PrePay account on a real-time basis. Per-minute charging intervals for local calls, calls back to Switzerland and incoming calls.
If you'd like to benefit from cheaper rates when your using your phone abroad, you should consider the Travel Options for PrePay. For only CHF 3.– per month, you can enjoy heavily discounted tariffs for making and receiving calls and sending SMS from all over the world.
countries where you can use your PrePay mobile phone
You can use your Orange PrePay mobile phone on any of the foreign local networks we partner with. If your mobile is dualband, the strongest network will be selected automatically, but you also have the option of choosing your foreign network manually. Don't forget to dial the international prefix when using your phone abroad (even for local calls
satellite, air and sea
Thuraya satellite coverage
Orange customers can make phone calls by satellite when travelling to countries which don't have sufficient network coverage. All you need is your Orange SIM card and a Thuraya handset. The call charges will appear on your regular Orange bill.
View Thuraya satellite communications' coverage map
Thuraya mobile phones combine regular GSM 900 MHz, SMS, data transfer, voicemail, call forwarding, call waiting as well as satellite reception and GPS (Global Positioning System) features. Remember, you'll need to be outside to get a signal. See www.thuraya.com for more information.
coverage in the air and at sea
Our partners, AeroMobile and Manx Maritime provide Orange customers with coverage in the air and at sea, respectively (click through for details on coverage and pricing). You can usually use your existing Orange mobile phone, with the call charges appearing on your regular Orange bill. Be aware, however, that the cost of using your phone via these partner networks can be considerably more than calling or surfing when at home, or when travelling abroad on the mainland, so please consider the charges before you travel.
important information about using your phone abroad
Orange is a member of the GSM Association, which is made up of 567 operators worldwide. For the sake of transparency in relation to international roaming charges, please be aware of the following information when using your phone abroad:
- Receiving SMS is free.
- Sending SMS is charged according to roaming partner principles.
- When people call you on your Orange number when you're abroad, you're charged for the international part of the call between Switzerland and the country you're visiting. This charging principle applies for all mobile operators, because the caller may not know you're abroad, so it wouldn't be fair to charge them for the international part of the call.
- When near the borders of Switzerland or Liechtenstein, or by lakes or mountains, your phone may automatically connect to a German, Italian, Austrian or French network. If this happens, you'll be charged the price for that zone. To avoid this, manually select the Orange CH network.
- Charging intervals are roaming partner-dependant.
- Some operators may charge you a special supplement for access to free local numbers.
- Free phone calls (0800) are chargable when they're calls back to Switzerland (+ 41 800).
- When you're abroad, calls transferred to your Orange Box when your line's busy or you aren't answering are invoiced twice. To avoid these additional charges, you can:
- cancel all call diverts directly from your mobile phone before you go abroad. N.B. If you activated this service before April 2000, please contact Customer Care to deactivate all call transfers.
- block all incoming calls directly from your mobile phone.
- reroute all your calls directly to your Orange Box or another national number (national call charge)
- MMS charges include the international roaming charges (over GPRS or data) and the normal cost for sending an MMS. International roaming charges are incurred both for receiving or sending an MMS.
- All prices are inclusive of VAT.
- All international roaming tariffs can be subject to modification at any time. For further details, please don't hesitate to call our Customer Care on 0800 700 700 or on +41 78 700 70 00 (or with Call Back *111*0041 78 700 7000#) from abroad.
Travel zone A
Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Monaco (France), San Marino (Italy), Vatican City
Travel zone B
Andorra, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Isle of Man, Ireland, Jersey, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey
Travel zone C
Albania, Balarus, Bosnia-Herzegoyina, Iceland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Serbia & Montenegro, Ukraine
Travel zone D
Canada, Guam, USA
Travel zone E
Rest of the world